however, my dinner was still super-delicious and worth the delays. here's the run-down:
deviled eggs with capers:
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (ask martha if you aren't sure how to hard-boil)
- some sort of white vinegar (i used white balsamic)
- pepper (leave out salt because capers are super-salty)
- dash of hot sauce
- ground paprika
- cut peeled eggs in half, and scoop out yolk.
- mash up yolks with all other ingredients except capers and paprika. i just add ingredients bit by bit until i've achieved the taste and texture i want.
- spoon yolk mixture back into the egg whites.
- top yolk mixture with a few capers, and dust liberally with paprika.
- carefully arrange on a plate for maximum attractiveness, and then devour.
if you aren't southern and don't have innate knowledge of the perfect deviled egg, there's a good recipe here. i am totally kicking myself for missing an opportunity to load up a recipe with dill.
tomato and peach summer salad
i got this recipe from lily of bigBANG studio via for me, for you. i left out some stuff that i didn't have on hand and forgot to buy at the grocery store. it's a little unclear to me if this is actually one of mark bittman's recipes or if it's just inspired by him, but let's go ahead and give him some credit for this, too.
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 peaches, chopped
- handful of basil, chopped
- drizzle of olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- mix everything up in a bowl. season to taste.
- done! eat!