Pages

Jan 26, 2014

A Spending Hiatus

Image via LobotoME Brain Fog Blog

I have decided to begin a spending hiatus. I did this pretty successful a few years ago when it seemed like everyone on the internet was doing one, and I think that it's time to bring it back. If you haven't heard of this phenomenon, it is basically what it sounds like: a hiatus from buying things that you don't strictly need. The inspiration for this round is that I am hoping to make some major life changes in 2014, and major life changes often go more smoothly when you don't have to worry about money. The easiest way to not have to worry about money is to avoid spending it unnecessarily. I haven't set a time limit for this project yet; I want to go for at least a month, and then see how I'm feeling.

Image via Perfect Sentiment


It's a great time for a spending hiatus because I'm currently single and not actively seeking a new relationship. (Major life changes are also a lot easier to make when it's only your own life that is affected.) I didn't do this last time around, but I do plan to do a more serious spending hiatus that will involve clearing my freezer and pantry. This may mean that I end up eating some semi-weird and/or not-terribly-varied meals--much easier to get away with when it's only me. I will allow myself one indulgence: going out with friends and/or coworkers. I don't do this very often, so it's not going to create a huge dent in potential savings, and I think I'll be more successful in this endeavor if I allow myself a little fun.

Are you interested in doing a spending hiatus of your own? Have you done one in the past? Was it successful? Not so much? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

xo,
kc

No comments: